Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Buttermilk Pancakes

You may be wondering why I have two pancake recipes on here. Well, let me explain. My mother's pancake recipe is great when I don't have buttermilk on hand. But if I do, or if I'm making breakfast for others (especially when my family comes to visit), this is the recipe that I go to.

I found this recipe as I was looking through some recipes that my great grandmother wrote down. She had compiled some of her favorite recipes which my grandmother copied and put in a Christmas book. I never knew that they were there until two years ago when I happened to come across them. For me, it was like striking gold. I truly treasure those recipes.

But just because they were special didn't mean that I would consider them the best. So I thought I would compare my great grandmother's recipe to the American Test Kitchen's recipe for perfect pancakes. They were VERY similar, so I tried both recipes in a side-by-side taste test. Well, my great grandmother's recipe was the winner!

This recipe has such wonderful flavor and makes the most tender, fluffy pancakes. My mom even remembers going to visit her grandma and getting to eat the best pancakes. So today, I'm sharing my favorite pancake recipe with you. This is one you MUST try!!

Here's what you'll need:
2 C. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 T. sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 C. buttermilk
2 T. melted butter or bacon fat (I HIGHLY recommend using the bacon fat - AMAZING FLAVOR!)
Combine dry ingredients into a bowl, add eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter or bacon fat, stirring only until flour is barely moistened (never mind the lumps) - as noted in the original recipe.
I actually combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and all of the wet ingredients into another, and beat the wet ingredients, then add them to the dry. I would actually recommend doing it that way so that you're not overmixing the batter.
Bake on a hot griddle, lightly greased.

YUMMMMMMM!!!! Do try!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...