Thursday, August 7, 2008

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

When it comes to cookies, I am a fool for chocolate chocolate chip! For years I have been using my usual chocolate chip cookie recipe and I would just add 1/3 cup of cocoa powder, which you can do. But when I came across this recipe from allrecipes.com (adapted a bit), made specifically for chocolate chocolate chip cookies, I thought I'd try it to see if it were any better. Oh my YUM! These are definitely better!!
One thing that I've learned with cookies is that they have better shape when the dough is put into the oven COLD. If the dough is warm or the butter has been melted or softened (I know most recipes say to use softened butter, but don't), they turn out flatter or with more spread. So there are a few ways to avoid that. 1) You can use cold butter when you're creaming, just don't cream too long or else that will warm up the butter. Then bake all of the dough in large quantities using a double oven. 2) If you don't have a double oven, then put the dough in the refrigerator while you are waiting between batches. 3) You can even mix up the dough and let it sit in the refrigerator for a good hour to make sure it is nice and cold.
Here's what you'll need:
2 C. flour
¾ C. white sugar
¾ C. packed brown sugar
½ C. cocoa powder
½ t. salt
1 t. vanilla
1 t. baking soda
2 eggs
1 C. butter, cold, cut into small pieces
2 C. semisweet chocolate chips (I really like using half semisweet and half milk chocolate. When I have extra sitting around, I LOVE to add white chocolate chips too!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine dry ingredients. In a seperate bowl, cream sugars and butter until fluffy, then add eggs and vanilla; beat well.

Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture.

Stir in chocolate chips. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let them cool on the cookie sheet for a good 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

And it's o.k. if two or three or four don't make it to the rack. It's just one of those things about making cookies - you have to eat some fresh out of the oven. It's one of life's sweetest pleasures!

Just so you know, I couldn't fit my cookie dough in the fridge since it was SO full, and my house is like a sauna, so these are a little flat, but oh so good! Give 'em a try!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...