Monday, September 8, 2008

Sweet & Sour Meatloaf

I have spent years trying so many different meatloaf recipes in hopes to find one I would fall in love with. There have been only one or two that I really liked, but not LOVED. Well, for Christmas last year, I gave one of my nieces cooking lessons. She got to decide what she wanted to make and she and I would get together and make a full meal once a week for a month. It was so much fun! One week, she brought a meatloaf recipe. We threw it together and I didn't really think much about it until I took my first bite. Oh, my gosh!! That was it; I was in love. It was SO good!!! I made this for the people coming evenings to build my house and one of them said that it was the best meatloaf he had ever tasted. So there you have it, two people voting it the best meatloaf ever.
Here's what you'll need:

Meatloaf:
2 eggs
1/4 C. ketsup
1/4 C. mustard
1 C. dry bread crumbs
1 pkg. onion soup mix
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 lbs. ground beef

Sauce:
1/4 C. & 2 T. ketsup
1/2 C. sugar
1/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. cider vinegar

In a bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add 1/4 cup ketsup, mustard, bread crumbs, soup mix, salt, and pepper.

Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.


Here is the beef crumbled


Here it is mixed well

Shape into 2 loaves and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. I usually just press the meat mixture into the loaf pans just because it is quicker and easier, but you can make loaves to make them look nice.

Combine sugars, vinegar, and 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons ketsup.

Drizzle over meatloaves.

I doubled the batch to feed alot of people, hence the four loaves.

Bake 20 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Now doesn't that look yummy? Just wait until you taste it!!

Note: I made this recipe for a girls' night out and cooked them in eight mini loaf pans for a cute, individual presentation idea. Just bake for 20 minutes, then add the sauce and bake another 15 minutes. Really fun!

3 comments:

Shar said...

My little man (21 months) could not get enough of this meatloaf!! Thank You So much for posting :) I just love your blog btw and have made so many recipes from here all delicious! Our two favorites are black bottom cupcakes and your chocolate chip cookies! Best cookie I have ever tasted ;)

Hannah said...

Shar, thank you so much for taking the time to comment! You just made my day! I'm so glad to hear you and your family are enjoying the recipes. Thanks again!!

Rachelle said...

Our family loved this meatloaf! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...