Monday, February 1, 2010

Southern Pulled-Pork Sandwiches with Sweet Coleslaw

Have you been thinking about what to make for your Super Bowl party? In case you have, I have an idea for you. And if you could care less about the Super Bowl, then just enjoy today's recipes, cuz they're GOOD!!!

I saw this idea once on one of my BHG emails I get, for pulled-pork sandwiches with coleslaw on top. I thought it looked interesting. I thought to myself, I have a good pulled-pork recipe, but I don't like coleslaw. And then I remembered eating coleslaw once at my mother-in-law's house and it was so good! But all I could remember about it was that it was sweet. So I did a search online for a sweet coleslaw recipe and I found one that my whole family (myself included) fell in LOVE with!!

Now I made one sandwich slathered in BBQ sauce and no slaw; it was good. The next sandwich I made was with the sweet slaw on top and it was AMAZING!!!!!! The tangy, chewy pork combined with the sweet, crunchy slaw - it is a PERFECT combination! That was all I ate for the next couple of days until it was gone. Trust me when I say, "It was AMAZING!!!"

Here's what you'll need:

Southern Pulled-Pork Sandwiches

3 lbs. pork roast, cut into equal pieces
1/4 C. brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 T. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 C. cider vinegar
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 C. water
8 soft sandwich rolls, split (I used my soft and tender rolls)
BBQ sauce for serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine sugar, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Cover pork pieces with the sugar mixture. Place into a roasting pan.
Now, let me just say this, this is how my butcher cut my pork roast. But I prefer to have bigger chunks rather than slices of meat so that when you shred it, you'll have longer shreds. I ended up with little tidbits of pork rather than shreds.
In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, garlic, and 1/2 C. water. Pour into roasting pan. Let me also say this, I should have used my biggest roasting pan and covered it with foil, since it doesn't have a lid. Cover your pan and place in the oven. Bake until pork is very tender and separates easily. For me, it took between 1 to 1 1/2 hours to cook. The recipe says to let it cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I would suggest checking it after an hour or so and go from there.

Transfer pork to a work surface, reserving pan juices. Shred the meat. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with some of the pan juices to moisten.

And now for the next recipe:

Sweet Coleslaw

1 bag of coleslaw mix (just the shredded cabbage, carrots, and radishes - don't use the sauce mix if it comes with one)
2/3 C. Miracle Whip
3 T. oil
1/2 C. sugar
1 T. white vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt

Put the cabbage into a large bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the Miracle Whip, oil, sugar, white vinegar, and salt. Mix well until creamy and mostly smooth. Pour over the cabbage; mix well to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 2-5 hours. Now that is VERY important to get the best flavor without making the slaw go soggy. After it sits for a couple/few hours, it'll be nice and moist and ready for sandwiches.

To assemble:

Take your sliced sandwich roll and on the bottom half, slather a little BBQ sauce. Place however much pulled-pork on the sauce, then top with however much coleslaw you want. Put the top half of the roll on and CHOW DOWN!!


If you would rather fore go the slaw on top, then just eat it with your favorite BBQ sauce.
But, for me, just try it with the coleslaw. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it!

3 comments:

Trulee said...

I cannot believe that NOBODY has commented on this absolutely delicious meal! My friend raved about it (even made it twice in the space of about three weeks) so I decided to try it for Mother's Day. (Yes, I made my own Mother's Day dinner; that was preferrable to potatoes or PBJ sandwiches.) WOW! It was so good! We even had guests and they raved about it. My 11-year-old loved it with the coleslaw. The other kids weren't quite adventurous enough, but still loved the pork. I put the pork in the crock pot and it was wonderful. Thank you for the delicious recipe! I think it's fool proof!

Natalie said...

I thought it was wonderful. Funny what sparks us to write. I so enjoyed the entire meal. I hope to make pork sandwiches sometime this weekend...Stave wants fried chicken so I may lose. But the slaw will be good with that. Thanks for helpping me.

Hannah said...

Thanks for the comments!! They make me so happy!!!! And Trulee, I know what it's like to make your own Mother's Day meal. It happens all the time, but at least we can make sure that we'll like it. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...