Monday, August 11, 2008

French Dip Sandwiches

My aunt sent me this recipe along with several other crockpot recipes (she is such a great resource when it comes good food, and pretty much anything else, for that matter). This was the first one that I tried because 1) everything about it sounded really good, 2) I had most of the ingredients, and 3) because it looked super easy to make. Little did I know how good it would actually taste when it was done. When the roast had finished cooking, I was amazed at how delicious the meat was, and then to have it soaking in that wonderful au jus made it that much better! I don’t know that I will ever go back to the old way of making French Dip Sandwiches with the deli sliced roast beef and the packaged au jus. Once you try this recipe, I think you’ll agree – this is WAY better!!!

This is what you'll need:

3-4 lb. Beef roast

1 can beef consommé soup

1 soup can of water

1 pkg. Au Jus dry mix

1 pkg. Italian dressing dry mix



Stir together the consommé, water, and au jus mix. Add the roast and sprinkle Italian seasoning on top. Cook on low in the crockpot for about 8 hours. Remove; shred meat. Place shredded meat on 10-12 large, buttered, crusty rolls. Top with provolone cheese, then broil open-faced until cheese is melted and bread is lightly toasted. Serve with juices from the crockpot for dipping.


Give this a try - you'll be glad that you did!

You can easily freeze the shredded meat in the juices for a meal another day.  Just place the shredded meat and juices into a gallon freezer bag, label and freeze.  To serve:  Thaw.  Heat through in a crockpot on High for a few hours.  Separate the meat from the juices and assemble your sandwiches, using the warmed juices for dipping.

2 comments:

Stoddard said...

I made this for dinner last night and the ENTIRE family LOVED it!! I also think i am going to be staying away from the way i used to make it which was the sliced roast beef from the deli and packaged aujus:) Thanks for all your hard work keeping up with the blog, we have loved every recipe we have tried so far!

Rachelle said...

I really liked this recipe! Plus it was soooo easy/fast to prepare! My husband liked them but wanted more texture in it so next time we'll throw some chips or lettuce on it! My two year old loved them, but the taste was a little advanced for the other three youngsters. Oh well, I'll make them P&J next time while I enjoy these! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...