Monday, October 27, 2008

Potato Bread

My mom is a wonderful bread maker. She even won first place in the County Fair for her bread when she was a child (yes, she's been making it that long)! She has tried teaching me how to do it since I was in high school and I just was never able to get it. I especially did not like doing everything by hand, which is how my mom has always done it. So when it came to bread, I just bought it at the store.

A few years ago, my wonderful mother-in-law (who is also a great bread maker) bought all of her daughters-in-law and daughter their own Bosch for Christmas gifts. Lucky me, huh?! I was much more excited to use that to make bread, but still wasn't quite sure how to do it. So I took a class from a neighbor on how to use a Bosch to make bread. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOO EASY!!!

Now that bread making is so easy to do, I've been trying TONS of recipes to find one that I like best. After many, many, MANY tries, I ended up making my own. I wanted something that was still moist and tender after the first day and wasn't crumbly. This is what I came up with that fulfills those components...
Here's what you'll need:
2 T. instant yeast (I like to use saf-instant. When you use instant, you don't have to let it soak and bubble in warm water.)
1 T. salt
2/3 C. sugar
2/3 C. oil
1 C. powdered milk
3 C. warm water
1 C. dry potato flakes
1 egg
8 C. flour
Mix together yeast, warm water, sugar, oil, and egg. Then add powdered milk, potato flakes, salt, and flour. Mix on High with your Bosch to knead for 10 minutes (an no, Mom, this is NOT cheating!).
Look at how beautiful that is!!
If you don't have a Bosch, just knead it with your hands, then let it rise until doubled, about 45-60 minutes. Punch down. If you are using a Bosch, you don't have to let it rise the first time, so you can skip that step.
Grease and flour 4 loaf pans. Shape dough into 4 loaves and let rise until loaves come just above the loaf pans (they'll rise more in the oven).
When I do my loaves, I don't really make them into nice and pretty loaves. I just divide the dough into four sections and press each section ito a loaf pan. They aren't the most gorgeous loaves, but that's quick and easy and they look just fine!
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Cool completely before storing in bread bags.



Look at how nicely this cuts!! Hardly any crumbs!

Before the bread cools, and this is VERY important, you MUST cut a few slices to eat straight from the oven with butter and jam or homemade honey butter (which is coming this week!)!!

Oh my YUM! It's really good!!

9 comments:

Kasi said...

your bread looks so much better than mine! I need a kitchen aid!!

Robinson Roost said...

Hannah, you are so good!

Hannah said...

There is a difference between a Bosch and a Kitchen Aid. Here is a video (about 10 minutes long)on what that difference is. You may have to copy and paste it if you can't click on it. But do check it out and see why I recommend a Bosch!

http://www.dvo.com/video/bosch-vs-kitchenaid.html

Kathy said...

I know this is an old post, Hannah - just had to say thank you! for sharing. I've been looking for a potato bread recipe for weeks after my sweet hubby bought me a Bosch...he will eat whole wheat, but I haven't got him 100% converted yet. After multiple comments about what "Mom used to make," it was time to get into action. I think this just might be it - delicious!

Hannah said...

Kathy, I so appreciate your comment! What a fun challenge. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. It sure means a lot to me!

kathy jo said...

Another belated comment from another Kathy - found your recipe when searching for a potato bread recipe for my Bosch for exactly the same reason. I have a great 100% whole wheat recipe that I love, but husband asked nicely for white bread...and I needed a contest entry for our local Potato Days! I used potato water left from making potato salad, and am thinking about adding a few cloves of roasted garlic next time. Great recipe - thanks for sharing!

taylor said...

Hi! I know this is an old post, but just wondering what size loaf pans you're using. Are these 1 or 2 pounds?

Fin said...

Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. خبز البطاطس

Anonymous said...

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little bit evaluation on this. And he in reality ordered me breakfast due to the fact I discovered it for him.. ryan gosling blade runner coat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...