Thursday, April 2, 2009

Death By Chocolate Trifle

First, a quick explaination, I've been extremely busy lately and will still be for the next week or two. So, I'm not so sure about how diligent I'm going to be adding more recipes until I get moved into our new home (hopefully next weekend). So, don't give up on me, more will be coming, I promise!!! But for my last post, until I get moved in, I leave you with a sweet treat!

Here's what you'll need:

9x13 inch pan of brownies, homemade or from a mix (I used a mix due to lack of time)
1 large pkg. chocolate fudge instant pudding
12 oz. container Cool Whip
Toffe Bits (I use about half of a bag)

Bake your brownies, cutting off the edges and cubing once cooled.


Using a trifle bowl,

make a layer of brownie cubes and sprinkle with toffee bits.

Then make a layer of pudding.

Top that with a layer of Cool Whip and sprinkle that liberally with toffee bits.

Start your layers over again - brownies, pudding, Cool Whip, and toffee bits. The top layer of Cool Whip I like to decorate by making fun little spikes. All you have to do is use the back of a spoon, touch it on to the Cool Whip and quickly pull up. Do this all over the top layer for a fun look.

Yum, yum, yum!!! This is one of the easiest desserts I make and it tastes so good and looks very impressive. You can also do the same thing in individual cups. It's super cute.

And trifles are one of the best things in the world. You can make your layers using anything you want! You can use chocolate and strawberries, or pound cake with raspberries and blueberries. Or try this specific dessert with oreos or the mint oreos (which I've done before and everyone loved them!). The possibilities are endless.

So if you don't have a trifle bowl, I would highly suggest getting one. No matter what you put in it (I also like to make a fresh fruit salad in mine), it makes the presentation more spectacular and they only cost about $10-$20. Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

JC Photography said...

Yummo!!!! That looks delicious!

Wendy Babcock said...

This blog is a gold mine for non domestic people like myself! I am so glad that we got to catch up a little. Keep the recipe's coming! I am excited to try all of them!

beth said...

This has been one of my go-to desserts for years! A couple of suggestions based on what I do that gives it a little different taste:
1. Sometimes I use chocolate cake that has been soaked with kahlua instead of the brownies. (poke holes in cooling cake with a straw and pour kahlua over top and into holes. Allow to sit until fully cool then break up into pieces to layer in bowl.

2. I always use broken up Skor candy bars (or heath bars if you can't find Skor bars near you). I smack them several times with a hammer while they are still wrapped to get bite size pieces as well as some crumbs. I usually use about 6 candy bars.

3. When I can find it I use chocolate mousse instead of pudding. Makes the dessert even richer!

4. I top the dessert with a shaved hershey kiss....decorative and it looks like you really worked at it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...