Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Pancakes

There are two pancake recipes that I truly love - my mom's recipe and my great grandmother's buttermilk pancakes. Today, I'm giving you my mom's! I don't remember her pancakes ever turning out as light and fluffy as mine do. But that's probably because so often I manned the griddle and as a kid, I didn't realized that pressing down pancakes once they've been flipped with the spatula, was a bad thing. Yeah, so don't do that!
I've also found that when I make them, here in Idaho, they are super fluffy and get to be about a half of an inch thick. But when I made them once in Missouri, they didn't turn out as thick - still good, just not as thick. So I'm thinking that it has to do with the elevation here. No matter where you are, you'll have to try these out!

Here's what you'll need:
2 1/2 C. flour
2 T. baking powder
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
2 beaten eggs (beaten for 5 minutes - You MUST do this for fluffy pancakes!!)
2 C. milk
1/4 C. oil
Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs for 5 minutes, then add the milk and oil.
When beating my eggs, I always tilt the bowl up so that I beat all of the eggs in a more confined space.
Add the dry ingredients and stir until moistened; it should still be slightly lumpy.
Cook on a hot griddle.
Makes 24-32 pancakes, depending on the size.
Look at how nice and thick these are!
I always double this recipe (as I do with any breakfast recipe) so that my kids can continue to eat pancakes all week long.

Mmmmmm!! I love breakfast food!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...