Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pork Chops & Creamy Potatoes

Have you ever seen a purple potato? Not the red-skinned ones, but PURPLE. Purple skin, purple flesh? I hadn't until a couple of weeks ago when my mother-in-law gave some to me. They are so cool! And I've learned that they have TONS of anti-oxidants in them. Neat, huh?

One year, in my garden, we grew purple beans. They were purple uncooked, but when you cooked them, they turned green. Crazy! Every year I've looked for them since, but have never found them. Anyway, back to the purple potatoes...

I decided to use them in one of my mother's recipes, Pork Chops & Potatoes. I just changed it up a little. Now, just so you know, this takes a while to cook - easy to prepare, but a while to cook. So make sure to give yourself some time.

Here's what you'll need:

4 C. thinly sliced potatoes, about 4 large potatoes
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2/3 C. evaporated milk
2 T. dried minced onion or 1 onion thinly sliced into rings
Salt & Pepper

For the potatoes, grease a 9x13 inch baking dish and put the sliced potatoes in it. I used a variety of potatoes, but you can use one of any kind. And I once again doubled this to feed several extras.
Aren't these pretty?!
Top the taters with onion rings (or if using dried onion, add that to the soup mixture) and salt and pepper everything. Combine the soup and milk and pour it over the potatoes and onions.
Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Just before the potatoes are done, season 4 pork chops with Cajun seasoning. I know it sounds a little strange, but it is so very good! It's the only way I'll cook pork chops anymore. Try it!! Pan fry (or griddle fry) until cooked through. Serve with potatoes.
If you wanted, you could put the seasoned, uncooked pork chops on top of the uncooked creamy potatoes, cover with aluminum foil, and bake the same way, just to get it all done at once. But your pork chops won't look as pretty as these. That's alright, it'll be a little easier. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...