Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Spaghetti Sauce

One thing I forgot how much I loved while living at home, was my Mom's spaghetti sauce. When I moved away to go to college, I just always bought the canned spaghetti sauce since that was quick and easy. I did that for years. Just a few months ago, I went through this whole I'm-cooking-what-my-Mom-cooked-for-me-growing-up thing. Has anyone else gone through that before? Anyway, I totally reverted back to my Mom's home cooking and this spaghetti sauce is one of the things I made and remembered how much I loved! When I took my first bite of it a couple months back, I was instantly upset that I had been missing out on this for years!! I now rarely purchase spaghetti sauce at the grocery store anymore because this is WAY better! And it's quick and easy to make. One of the reasons why I like it so much is because it is more sweet than savory. Kind of hard to imagine, but just try it. I LOVE it!!!

Here's what you'll need:

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 T. dried onion
Salt & Pepper
Garlic powder

Brown the ground beef with the onion, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Drain off grease.

Then add:

1 can tomato soup
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 tomato soup can full of water
1 t. oregano
1 t. basil

1-2 T. brown sugar (If you don't want your sauce to be on the sweeter side, go with 1 tablespoon; if you're like me and like it sweet, go with 2. And you can use white sugar, but the brown gives it a deeper flavor.)


Cook together with meat and serve over noodles. Also good for homemade pizza and lasagna.



This is also great to make, let cool, pour into freezer bags and freeze for another day.  Just thaw and heat through.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...