Monday, February 27, 2012

Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup

When I co-hosted last year's cookie exchange, my friend Kolette brought this soup for lunch.  I couldn't believe how good it was when I took my first bite.  OH, IT WAS AMAZING!!  Everyone else that was there thought the same thing.  I'm pretty sure everyone had seconds and some even had thirds.  It was so good.

Now, this soup takes a little time to make, but it's worth it in the end.  When my 8 year old tried this, he said, "This is the best soup that's ever gone in my mouth!"  It's that good!



Here's what you'll need:

2 (14.5 oz.) cans chicken broth
2 C. water (use the liquid from the veggies for some of this)
1/2 C. butter
1/2 C. flour (heaping)
2 C. half and half
1-3 tsp. salt
1/2 - 1 tsp. pepper
1 box Uncle Ben's Wild Rice (fast cook 5 minute recipe)
2-4 chicken breasts
1-2 C. diced carrots
1-2 C. diced celery
diced onion (optional)

Cook rice according to package directions.


Steam vegetables in about 1-2 cups of water.  To steam, I put my chopped veggies and water in a microwavable bowl and cover it.  Then microwave it for about 8 minutes, or until tender.  


Make sure to reserve the water that's left.



Cook chicken in the bottom of a kettle or pot.  Remove and cut up.  Melt butter in the pot, add flour and seasonings.


Make a white sauce using the broth and reserved vegetable juice (adding enough water to equal 2 cups).


Bring to a boil.  Stirring constantly.  Boil for 1 minute.  Add half and half, veggies, rice, and chicken.  Heat until well heated through.  Do not boil or scorch the bottom.  Stir often until ready to serve.


Serve with a slice of homemade bread, or rolls, or breadsticks, or crusty french bread.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

you don't use 2 cups of water right? just pour the broth and veg sauce and if it's not 2 cups then put water to make the two cups?

max harrell said...

question, do you prepare the Uncle Ben's Rice or pour the dry mixture in the pot? Also, unclear about the amount of water used. Help!

max harrell said...

sorry, just re-read and saw the line about the prepared rice. Ha, ha, I should learn to read. Can't wait to try this.

Hannah said...

Sorry I'm slow to get back! Correct on the water. Use whatever is left from cooking the veggies and then add more water to equal 2 cups total.

Hope this helps!

Audra said...

looks delicious!

Audra said...

Totally pinned this!

kduprey said...

My 4yr old son LOVED this soup... said it was the best ever! hahaha in all his 4 years, I'd say that's a compliment. I loved it as well... thanks so much for sharing.

Hannah said...

Kduprey, I'm so glad to hear your little guy loved this soup! Thanks for commenting!

Rachelle said...

Our whole family liked this soup! Keeper!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...