Monday, October 3, 2011

Southern Peach Cobbler

Guess what I have.  A big box of fresh peaches sitting on my counter.  Peach season is here and I love it!  So does the rest of my little family.  I really should be canning them, but eating them fresh and baking with them are just way more fun for me!

We've been eating them in our crepes with a fresh strawberry sauce.  We've eaten them sliced, sugared, and drenched with milk (like peaches and cream).  And, of course, we've been chowing down on them as they are.  But my favorite way to eat these juicy, sweet globes is as peach cobbler.

Did you know that I'm originally from Georgia?  That's right, I'm an official Georgia Peach!  Maybe that's why I like peaches so much.  And, maybe that's why this recipe for Southern Peach Cobbler spoke to me, cuz I really am a Southern Belle (that last part was totally meant to be read with a Southern accent).  ;)

Anyway, I got the original recipe from allrecipes, but changed it a touch, as usual.  I really do hope you get a chance to try this recipe out.  It may seem a little daunting at first, but once you make it, you'll see how easy it really is.  And it is so good!

Here's what you'll need:

Peach Mixture:
8 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced into wedges
1/4 C. white granulated sugar
1/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. cornstarch

Pastry Mixture:
1 C. flour
1/4 C. white granulated sugar
1/4 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. cold butter, cubed
1/4 C. boiling water

Cinnamon Sugar Mixture:
1 1/2 Tbsp. white granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

In a large bowl, combine all of the dry Peach Mixture ingredients, then add the sliced peaches.  Toss evenly to coat.



 My little Aubree wanted to be the photographer for me.


Pour the peaches and juices into a 7 1/2" x 11" baking dish.  Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.

While the peaches are baking, in a medium bowl, combine the dry pastry ingredients.  Blend in the butter with a pastry blender, or two knives, until you get lots of pea-sized portions.  Stir in the water until just combined.  Don't over mix this.


In a very small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar and set aside.


 After the peaches have baked for 10 minutes, pull them out of the oven and sprinkle some of the cinnamon sugar mixture over the peaches.  Then glob the pastry mixture over the top of the peaches.  Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar.


Continue baking for 25-30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.


Enjoy with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!  YUM-MMMY!!

2 comments:

Audra said...

ok so i made this today for thanksgiving.... SOOOOOO good! i had to use bottled peaches instead of fresh. still turned out great. Thank you for the awesome recipe!

Hannah said...

I'm so glad to hear this works well with canned peaches too. Thanks, Audra! I'm glad to hear you liked it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...