Monday, December 15, 2008

Corn Chowder

Growing up, my mom made this frequently and it's one of those things that make you feel warm and cozy inside. While she was here visiting, I asked her to make it, since she hasn't ever written down her recipe. After she made the chowder, she wrote down what she did. And now that I have a real recipe, I'm sharing it with you!

Just a note - my mom never made with with green chilies while I was growing up, but she likes to add them now for more flavor. Unfortunately for me, I didn't know that green chilies upset my stomach (now that I'm expecting) until I had some soup. So the next time I make this, I will be leaving the green chilies out.

Here's what you'll need:

1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled - reserve the drippings
7-8 large potatoes, peeled, diced, cooked, and drained
2 T. dried onion
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 C. milk
1 can evaporated milk
2 cans corn, with liquid
grated cheese
1 can chopped green chilies (opt.)

Mash potatoes with 1/4 cup butter, salt and pepper to taste. In a microwavable bowl, combine 2 Tablespoons of dried onion, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 cup of milk. Microwave for 2 minutes on High. Add that mixture to the mashed potatoes along with the crumbled bacon. Then add 1/4 - 1/2 cup bacon drippings, evaporated milk, corn with liquid, green chilies (if desired). Add more milk until you reach your desired thickness. Heat through to blend flavors, being careful not to burn it. Serve, topped with grated cheese.

Mmmm, perfect for those cold winter days!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...