Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Chicken Fried Steak

On Sunday afternoons, we like to make a dinner that might take a little more time than what I might spend on a weeknight. A couple of Sundays ago, my hubby and I decided to make chicken fried steak since I have a TON of cube steaks in the freezer. So I started looking through recipes online. I found one on allrecipes that had a really good rating and wrote it down. Then I remembered watching Bobby Flay make some as I was laying in a hospital bed just after I had my baby. It looked good. So I looked it up too and compared the two recipes.

I couldn't decide which one would be better just by looking at the ingredients. I decided to make them both and have a taste-test. That was a lot of fun and my husband was so excited. After getting everything cooked, we sat down to eat. Brett said that the allrecipes CFS tasted like what you get at restaurants. But I never order it at restaurants because it's nothing special - bland really, which is what I thought of the allrecipes recipe.

Bobby Flay's, on the other hand, was VERY flavorful. I loved it! And I will take better tasting food than restaurants around here can make any day!! So, today I am sharing my version of Bobby Flay's Chicken Fried Steak. To see the original, click HERE. Enjoy!

Here's what you'll need:

1 - 1 1/2 lbs. cubed steak, cut into four sections
1 1/2 C. buttermilk (or milk, but buttermilk is better)
2 1/2 C. flour
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. onion powder
1 T. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper, opt.
oil for frying

2 T. (heaping) flour
2 C. milk
2 T. heavy cream
salt, pepper, and thyme to taste

Pour the buttermilk into a shallow dish and set aside. In another shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper, if desired.


Dredge the cube steak in the flour mixture and then into the buttermilk and then again in the flour mixture.
Fry in heated oil and cook over medium-low heat until golden brown on the outside and the meat is cooked through.
Remove from the skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate.

For the country gravy, pour off most of the oil from the frying pan, but keeping a little still in the pan. Add the flour and cook for one minute. Slowly add the milk, cream, and seasonings. Cook until thickened. Serve over the steaks and mashed potatoes.

Mmmmmmmmm!!! Much better than what you get at the restaurant!

1 comment:

Robinson Roost said...

Looks delish! I think Paula Deen did chichen fried steak Monday when she did a comfort foods show. I did not take notes. Keep going. I love what you do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...