Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Weekend Waffles

As I have mentioned many times before, my little family LOVES breakfast foods. And just like my pancakes, I have two recipes that I use - one with buttermilk (which is better) and another with out (a very good second option). So today I'm giving you my favorite non-buttermilk waffle recipe. I love how this recipe turns out so beautifully with a lightly crisp outside and a tender, delicious inside. And one of the reasons why I like it so much is because I don't separate and beat the egg whites and they still turn out fabulously!!

Here's what you'll need:

1 3/4 C. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 3/4 C. milk
1/2 C. oil

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs for five minutes (this is very similar to my pancake recipe and will give you a more tender finished product; if you don't beat the eggs this long, you'll get more of a chewy, rubbery texture). Add the milk and oil and beat until well combined. Then add the dry ingredients and stir or beat on low just until combined. It's alright to still have some lumps. Pour batter into a greased, heated waffle iron and cook until golden.

When I make these, I always double the batch, first of all, and then I cook a few and have them sitting stacked on a plate so that everyone can get started eating while we are cooking more as we eat. I cook them right at the table so that they go straight from the waffle iron to someone's plate. That way we get fresh, perfect, delicious waffles as soon as they are ready and we are ready for them!

You can serve these with maple syrup, fruit syrup, fresh berries, or my special Cinnamon Cream Syrup, which I'll be posting tomorrow. And I'll tell you what, that's something to look forward to!!!


P.S. One more quick note! When my in-laws serve waffles, they like to break an egg or two into the greased and heated waffle iron, salt and pepper them, shut it, and let it cook until the eggs are done. My kids think it's the most fun way to eat eggs. They look just like waffles!

2 comments:

Hills said...

I just wanted to let you know that i have tried some of the recieps on here and have LOVED them! Also i do my eggs like that cause when i was little that is how Amy would do them when i stayed with her!

VALERIE said...

Looking forward to your cinnamon cream syrup.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...